Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Education Is Music and Students Are The Listeners




My model of education is based on the fact that education is like music and students are the listeners. All of us teachers are musicians in the way that we're in charge of writing the music and projecting it to the listener. The listener is also a musician, therefore also a teacher. The musician is also a listener, therefore also a student. There is no difference between musician and listener, and no difference between teacher and student other than the positions they're put in within the situation. Teachers, like musicians, have the tools and materials to portray what they'd like to the listener (the student.) They can use different genres (methods) to portray their point, but ultimately the listener will take what they want from the song and interpret it however they feel. It is the job of the musician to make good use of their writing within the song, so that the listener understands and can use the music to let it change who they are and learn from experience. The educator is the musician, and teaching is making music.

This is my last year here at Salem State and I should be graduating in Spring 2010 with a bachelor of arts in music and a minor in educational studies. It's funny that only now have I heard of the most inspiring teacher in education, Albert Cullum.



"Dedicated to all of those grownups who, as children, died in the arms of compulsory education."



This is Albert Cullum's simple dedication at the beginning of his education book "The Geranium On The Window Sill Just Died, But Teacher You Went Right On" and I feel it really defines a neverending struggle. The education system always talks about reform, but so many teachers become comfortable in their teaching styles.

















Social Justice is important to all educators for one main reason. Everyone is equal. We only have one chance, one life to make a difference. No one on this Earth gets a second chance at life. We're all here to help each other make life better as a whole. Teachers have more of an influence than most. They see and talk to more people each year than most. They have more influence on a large amount of people than your average daily worker and the people the teacher works for are the easily influenced and have the greatest impact on the most important facet of life...the future. The biggest problem in education is that the teacher lacks social justice in more ways than one. So many teachers tip toe around subjects of race and gender, and forget about other forms of equality. How about age and title?


In a school system, the administration, the teachers, the aides, and the students have to work together to create an ideal learning environment. Social Justice is important to honor in order to do this. A distribution of power can really put people into a position where they may change their original ideals and morals to fit a situation in which they can take advantage of. A superintendent, a principal, a teacher, and a 9th grade student all have the same common goal in the education system. They are no different...at least they shouldn't be. If these four superpowers can find a way to relate to each other, think of how much smoother the school system would run! My high school principal hadn't even said hi to me until my junior year. My teachers didn't follow up to see how I was doing after high school. They didn't make an effort to ask what I did outside of school or how my family was and I was never given the chance to learn about them. Who they are as people. It's these simple relationships that need to be established in order to run a classroom properly. It's become such a factory system in which these kids are just churned out. It's very much like an assembly line where the children enter the school incomplete, we give them the parts to work properly, but we don't test them out. We let them leave the factory depending on a simple test to determine and evaluate whether or not the "product" is properly assembled.


They say that high school years are supposed to be the best times of our lives. I interviewed 10 of my best college friends who came from 10 different high schools in suburban and city public schools. 8 out of 10 were dissapointed in their high school experiences. 9 out of 10 said that their college friends and experiences will be remembered as the "good ole days" over their high school experiences. 10 out of 10 shockingly told me that they couldn't remember one teacher in high school that made a difference in their life.



10 out of 10.


Where are these inspiring teachers we hear about in the movies? Where's the next Albert Cullum or John Dewey? Why aren't teachers inspired anymore?


I feel these are the true problems with education and social justice today.


After taking all of my EDU courses, I am looking forward to persuing my masters in Music Ed next year and teaching high school. I'm really excited that I chose music as my field. Music is my life, love, and passion. When I share my knowledge of music, despite what the curriculum may be, I do it with excitement, because it's my life work. I've found excitement and had teachers in every subject that have inspired me, at least one I can recall from each subject and because of these teachers, i've enjoyed this subject. I'm excited that I will not be bound by standardized testing and I'm looking forward to making a difference. I wish I could teach all subjects to show how it's done. To remind students that it's not the subjects that are boring...it's the teachers.



With that I exit this particular blog with a short story/poem I have written. I call it "Speechless" and it has to do with the lack of inspiration behind an authoratative figure. Sometimes teachers hide behind the fact that they are above a student, rather than work with the student. Teachers need the answers, because once a student loses faith in you...you don't get a second chance with that student.


Speechless By: ~J. Wildes

Mr. Teacher, when there aren't enough pencils in the class for me to do my classwork, is it my fault?
No, this would be the fault of the government funding.


Mr. Teacher, when I can't graduate because of my test scores, is it my fault?
No, this would be the fault of standardized testing.

Mr. Teacher, when I am scared to go to school, because they keep searching my bags as if i'm a criminal. Is it my fault?
No, this would be the fault of the administration



Mr. Teacher, when I am being mistreated because of my gender, race, or social class...is it my fault?
No, that's the fault of social injustice





Mr. Teacher, why do I need to know this? How will this help me?


....speechless....





Mr. Teacher, why do you look down at me when we talk?
...speechless....




Mr. Teacher, why do you get so frustrated when students are talking?



....speechless...



Mr. Teacher....why should I go to school when I have a disabled mother and siblings to provide for?



...speechless...




Mr. Teacher, when I leave your classroom feeling dissapointed, bored, unfulfilled, stupid, failed, isolated, misunderstood, confused, and overall feeling like your class is a waste of time.....is it my fault?



.....speechless....




Helpful Links:


Pictures:

No comments:

Post a Comment